DEVELOPING COMPETITION IN THE DIGITAL EPOCH NEEDS NEW APPROACHES
On 19 September 2019, the Plenary session of the VI BRICS Competition Conference will focus on competition development in the digital epoch. Stats-Secretary, Deputy Head of FAS Andrey Tsarikovskiy and Deputy Chief Economist, the Brazil’s Administrative Council for Economic Defence, Patricia Sakowski, will be the moderators.
During the session, experts shall look into various aspects of competition development and improvement of the antimonopoly law in the digital economy.
The theme of developing competition in the digital era is on the lading positions on the agenda of all competition authorities. Technological development forms the basis for economic growth and stimulates innovations. At the same time, digitalization of global economy requires transformation of antimonopoly regulation, adaptation of the regulators’ approaches to the new reality and reviewing competition policy.
According to Andrey Tsarikovskiy, competition law can be an answer to the challenges of the digital economy.
“We have reached a conclusion that traditional tool of antimonopoly regulation frequently do not work in the modern realities. New markets emerge and disappear faster than the antimonopoly mechanisms switch on. We understand that we should devise new rules of the game. I wish all of us productive work at the session”, pointed out Deputy Head of FAS.
The speakers include:
- Gabriella Muscolo, Commissioner, Italian Competition Authority;
- Vladimir Yefimov, Deputy Moscow Mayor on Economic Policy and Property-Land Relations, Moscow Government;
- Dimitry Afanasiev, Chairman, Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners;
- Teresa Moreira, Head of UNCTAD Competition and Consumer Policy Branch;
- Russell Damtoft, Associate Director of the US Federal Trade Commission’s Office of International Affairs;
- Frédéric Jenny, Chairman of OECD Competition Committee;
- Alberto Heimler, Chairman, No. 2 Working Group, OECD Competition Committee;
- Caio Mario da Silva Pereira, Professor, School of Law, San Paolo;
- Wang Ksanlin, Professor, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, the People’s Republic of China;
- Giovanni Napolitano, Deputy Director, Department for Transition and Developed Countries, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO);
- Per Helstrem, Senior Legal Director, Europe, Middle East, Africa & India, Apple Inc;
- Ioannis Lianos, Law Professor, University College London;
- Alexei Ivanov, Director, BRICS Antimonopoly Centre;
- Luigi Nicolo Zingales, Associate Professor, School of Law, Leeds University;
- Michael Jacobides, Professor, London Business School;
- Bjorn Lundquist, Professor, Stockholm University;
- Anna Muller, legal expert, World Trade Organization (WTO).
More details about the Conference on FAS official web-site.
For media accreditation please apply to email@example.com giving your name, the media that you represent, passport details and the equipment.